Is there a Train from Budapest Airport to City Centre?
If you’re planning a trip to Budapest and arriving at Budapest Airport, you might be wondering about the most convenient way to reach the city centre. While there are various transportation options available, taking a train is a popular choice among travelers. In this article, we’ll explore whether there is a train from Budapest Airport to the city centre, and provide you with all the details you need to know.
Getting from Budapest Airport to the City Centre
Budapest Airport, also known as Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport, is the main international airport serving the Hungarian capital. It is located approximately 16 kilometers southeast of the city center. To reach the city center, you have several transportation options including taxis, buses, shuttles, and trains.
Unfortunately, as of now, there is no direct train connection between Budapest Airport and the city center. However, there is a possible alternative that involves a combination of transportation modes.
Alternative Option: Airport Shuttle Bus + Train
One convenient option is to take an airport shuttle bus from Budapest Airport to the nearby train station and then continue your journey to the city center by train. Here’s how you can do it:
- Upon arrival at Budapest Airport, look for the shuttle bus stop. The bus is called “100E” and it runs between the airport and the city center.
- Purchase a ticket for the shuttle bus either at the airport or directly from the bus driver. Make sure to validate your ticket once onboard.
- Take the shuttle bus to its final stop, which is Deák Ferenc tér, located in the heart of Budapest’s city center.
- From Deák Ferenc tér, you can easily access various train stations depending on your specific destination within the city.
- The most common train stations to reach popular areas in Budapest are Nyugati railway station, Keleti railway station, and Deli railway station.
- Purchase a train ticket at the station and board the train heading towards your desired destination.
It’s important to note that the shuttle bus operates at regular intervals, usually every 20 minutes, and the journey from the airport to Deák Ferenc tér takes approximately 35-45 minutes depending on traffic conditions.
Benefits of Taking the Train
While it might require a combination of transportation modes, taking the train from Budapest Airport to the city center offers several benefits:
- Cost-effective: Compared to a taxi, taking the train can save you money, especially if you are traveling alone or in a small group.
- Convenience: Trains are a reliable mode of transportation, and once you reach the city center, you’ll have easy access to other parts of the city.
- Scenic Route: If you enjoy observing your surroundings, traveling by train allows you to experience the Hungarian countryside before arriving in the bustling city.
While there is no direct train connection from Budapest Airport to the city center, you can take an airport shuttle bus to the nearest train station and continue your journey from there. This alternative option provides a cost-effective and convenient way to reach Budapest’s city center. So, if you’re looking for an affordable and reliable transportation option, consider taking a combination of the shuttle bus and train to explore the beautiful city of Budapest.
Table of Contents