Does it Snow in Prague in December?
If you are planning a trip to Prague in December, you might be wondering whether or not you will get to experience the magical beauty of snow. In this blog post, we will explore the weather patterns in Prague during December and discuss the likelihood of snowfall. So, let’s dive in and find out!
Understanding the Weather in Prague
Prague, the capital city of the Czech Republic, is located in Central Europe. It has a temperate climate with mild summers and cold winters. December falls within the winter season, which means you can expect chilly temperatures and the possibility of snow.
Historical Weather Data
Looking at historical weather data can give us a better understanding of the likelihood of snow in Prague during December. On average, Prague experiences around 12 days of snowfall in December. However, it’s important to note that this is just an average, and actual weather conditions can vary from year to year.
Temperature in December
In December, the temperature in Prague can range from an average of -2°C (28°F) to 4°C (39°F). The evenings and nights tend to be cooler, often dropping below freezing point. These low temperatures create favorable conditions for snowfall.
Snowfall in December
December is considered a snowy month in Prague, with a higher chance of snowfall compared to other months of the year. The snowfall can vary from light flurries to heavy snowstorms. The city looks incredibly picturesque when covered in a blanket of snow, enhancing the charm of its stunning architecture and cobblestone streets.
Factors Influencing Snowfall
Several factors can influence the occurrence and amount of snowfall in Prague during December. These factors include:
- Temperature: As mentioned earlier, the cold temperatures in December provide the necessary conditions for snowfall.
- Pressure Systems: The movement of pressure systems can bring in moist air, leading to snowfall.
- Geographical Location: Prague’s location inland makes it prone to colder temperatures and potential snowfall.
Enjoying Snowy Prague
If you are lucky enough to experience snowfall in Prague during December, there are several activities you can enjoy:
- Admire the Charles Bridge: The iconic Charles Bridge covered in snow creates a breathtaking scene. Take a leisurely stroll and soak up the magical atmosphere.
- Visit Prague Castle: Explore the majestic Prague Castle while surrounded by a winter wonderland.
- Try Ice Skating: Many temporary ice rinks pop up across the city during the winter season. Strap on your skates and glide through the ice.
- Warm up with Hot Mulled Wine: Sip on a cup of traditional Czech hot mulled wine (svařák) to keep warm and cozy.
In conclusion, December in Prague does bring the possibility of snowfall, making it a charming destination for a winter getaway. While it’s not guaranteed, the chances are higher compared to other months. Regardless of whether it snows or not, Prague offers plenty of attractions, stunning architecture, and a rich cultural experience throughout the year. So, pack your winter essentials, embrace the beauty of the city, and enjoy your visit to Prague!
Table of Contents