How to Get from London to Paris by Ferry
Looking for an exciting and unique way to travel from London to Paris? Why not consider taking a ferry? Not only does it offer a different perspective on your journey, but it can also be a convenient and enjoyable experience. In this blog post, we will guide you through the process of getting from London to Paris by ferry, providing you with all the information you need for a smooth and memorable trip.
1. Choosing the Right Ferry
There are several ferry companies that operate routes between London and Paris, each with their own schedules and services. Two popular options include:
- DFDS Seaways: DFDS Seaways offers a convenient and frequently running service between Dover (near London) and Calais (near Paris). The journey takes approximately 90 minutes and offers a range of onboard facilities.
- P&O Ferries: P&O Ferries also operate a service between Dover and Calais, providing a choice of several daily crossings. Their ferries are equipped with restaurants, shops, and comfortable seating areas.
2. Booking Your Ferry Ticket
Booking your ferry ticket in advance is highly recommended, especially during peak travel seasons. Here’s how you can do it:
- Visit the website or call the customer service of your chosen ferry company.
- Select your preferred travel dates and times.
- Choose the type of ticket you want (economy, standard, or priority).
- Provide the necessary passenger and vehicle information, if applicable.
- Complete the payment process and receive your confirmation.
It’s important to note that ferry ticket prices can vary depending on factors such as travel dates, times, and the level of service you choose.
3. Getting to the Ferry Terminal
The ferry terminal in London is located in Dover, which is approximately 77 miles (124 km) southeast of the city center. Here are a few transportation options to consider:
- Train: Trains to Dover Priory station depart regularly from London St Pancras International. The journey takes around 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Car: If you have your own vehicle, you can drive to Dover and park it at the designated parking areas near the ferry terminal.
- Coach/Bus: National Express operates coach services from London Victoria coach station to Dover.
4. Boarding the Ferry
Arrive at the ferry terminal at least an hour before your scheduled departure to allow time for check-in and security procedures. Follow these steps to board the ferry:
- Park your vehicle, if applicable, in the designated area.
- Proceed to the check-in counter and present your ticket and identification.
- Follow the instructions given by the staff and proceed to the boarding area.
- Once onboard, locate your seating area or explore the facilities available.
Remember to keep your ticket and identification easily accessible as you may need to present them during the boarding process.
5. Enjoying the Ferry Journey
As you sail across the English Channel, take the time to enjoy the onboard amenities and the stunning views. Here are a few tips to make the most of your journey:
- Visit the onboard restaurants and enjoy a meal or snack.
- Explore the duty-free shops and take advantage of any special offers.
- Relax in the comfortable seating areas or enjoy the outdoor decks.
- Capture photos of the beautiful coastline and the iconic White Cliffs of Dover.
6. Arriving in Calais
After a smooth ferry crossing, you’ll arrive in Calais, France. From there, you have several options to travel to Paris:
- Train: The fastest and most convenient way to reach Paris from Calais is by train. The journey takes around 1.5 to 2 hours, and there are frequent services available.
- Car Rental: If you prefer to explore the French countryside or have more control over your itinerary, consider renting a car in Calais.
- Taxi/Transfer Service: Pre-booked taxis or transfer services can take you directly from the ferry terminal to your destination in Paris.
Before you depart the ferry, check the available transportation options and plan your onward journey accordingly.
7. Exploring Paris
Congratulations, you’ve made it to Paris! Now it’s time to immerse yourself in this beautiful city. From iconic landmarks like the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre Museum to charming streets and delicious cuisine, Paris has something for everyone.
Make sure to plan your itinerary in advance to make the most of your time in the city. Consider purchasing a Paris Pass, which provides access to multiple attractions and public transportation.
Remember to check the return ferry schedule to Calais before leaving Paris to ensure a smooth journey back.
Traveling from London to Paris by ferry can be an enjoyable and unique experience. By choosing the right ferry, booking your ticket in advance, planning your transportation to the ferry terminal, and making the most of your onboard journey, you can have a memorable trip. Once you arrive in Calais, explore Paris at your own pace and create lasting memories in the City of Light. Bon voyage!
Table of Contents