Stockholm Alternative Guide
Welcome to the Stockholm Alternative Guide! If you’re looking for a unique and offbeat experience in the capital of Sweden, you’ve come to the right place. In this guide, we’ll introduce you to the alternative side of Stockholm and show you some hidden gems that you won’t find in your typical tourist guidebook.
1. Vintage Shopping
If you love vintage fashion and unique treasures, Stockholm has a thriving vintage shopping scene. Here are a few must-visit stores:
- Lisa Larsson Second Hand: Located in the trendy Södermalm neighborhood, this store offers a wide selection of vintage clothing, accessories, and home decor items.
- Myrorna: With multiple locations across the city, Myrorna is a chain of second-hand shops where you can find everything from clothing to furniture at affordable prices.
- Old Touch: Situated in the Vasastan area, Old Touch specializes in vintage furniture, antiques, and unique home decorations. Perfect for those looking to add a touch of vintage charm to their homes.
2. Alternative Nightlife
Stockholm’s nightlife is not just about trendy clubs and crowded bars. If you’re looking for something different, here are a few alternative spots to check out:
- Under Bron: Located under a bridge in the Södermalm district, Under Bron is a popular underground club known for its eclectic music selection and laid-back atmosphere.
- Färgfabriken: This former paint factory has been transformed into a contemporary art space that hosts exhibitions, performances, and club nights. It’s a must-visit for art enthusiasts.
- Trädgården: Situated in an industrial area, Trädgården is a temporary outdoor venue that opens during the summer months. It offers a unique mix of live music, DJs, art installations, and food stalls.
3. Street Art and Murals
If you’re a fan of street art, Stockholm has some impressive murals and graffiti for you to explore. Here are a few spots to visit:
- Hornstull: This neighborhood in Södermalm is known for its vibrant street art scene. Take a stroll along Hornsgatan and discover colorful murals, stencils, and paste-ups.
- Tantolunden Park: Located in the heart of Södermalm, Tantolunden Park is not only a beautiful green space but also home to several impressive street art pieces.
- Persborg: Situated in the southern part of Stockholm, Persborg is an industrial area that has been transformed into a canvas for street artists. Expect large-scale murals and graffiti.
4. Unconventional Museums
If you’re tired of traditional museums, Stockholm offers some quirky and unconventional options:
- Vasa Museum: While not exactly unconventional, the Vasa Museum is a must-visit for history enthusiasts. It houses the only almost fully intact 17th-century ship that has ever been salvaged, and it’s truly a unique sight.
- ABBA The Museum: Dive into the world of the iconic Swedish band ABBA at their interactive museum. Sing along to their greatest hits, try on their costumes, and even become the fifth member of the group in a virtual performance.
- Spritmuseum: Explore the history of alcohol in Sweden at the Spritmuseum. From the production process to the cultural significance, this museum offers a fascinating insight into the world of spirits.
5. Nature Escapes
If you’re seeking a break from the city, Stockholm has plenty of natural escapes just a short distance away:
- Stockholm Archipelago: With over 30,000 islands, the Stockholm Archipelago is a haven for nature lovers. Take a boat trip and explore the picturesque landscapes, charming villages, and pristine beaches.
- Djurgården: Located just a short ferry ride from central Stockholm, Djurgården is an island oasis that offers beautiful parks, forests, and even an amusement park.
- Rosendals Trädgård: This organic garden and café in Djurgården is the perfect spot to relax and enjoy nature. Grab a fika (Swedish for coffee and cake) and take a stroll through the lush greenery.
Stockholm is a city of contrasts and surprises. From its vintage stores to alternative nightlife spots, vibrant street art to unconventional museums, and natural escapes just a stone’s throw away, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Embrace the alternative side of Stockholm and make your visit truly memorable.
Table of Contents