Top 5 Places to Visit Near Budapest
Budapest, the capital city of Hungary, is a fascinating destination with its rich history, stunning architecture, and vibrant culture. However, if you have a few extra days in your itinerary, exploring the nearby areas can offer you a different perspective of this beautiful country. In this article, we will take you on a virtual tour of the top 5 places to visit near Budapest.
Szentendre is a charming town located just 20 kilometers north of Budapest. Known for its colorful houses and cobblestone streets, this artistic town is a favorite destination for both locals and tourists. Take a leisurely walk along the Danube riverfront, explore the narrow alleys filled with art galleries and museums, and taste traditional Hungarian dishes at one of the local restaurants.
- Open-air Ethnographic Museum showcasing traditional Hungarian village architecture
- Micro Museums with quirky collections like marzipan sculptures and Hungarian ceramics
- Szentendre Skanzen, an open-air museum featuring reconstructed Hungarian buildings
Located around 45 kilometers north of Budapest, Visegrád is a picturesque riverside town known for its medieval castle and breathtaking views. Climb up to the Visegrád Citadel to enjoy panoramic views of the Danube Bend, where the river takes a sharp turn. The town also hosts various historical reenactments and cultural events that give visitors a glimpse into Hungary’s rich past.
- Visegrád Citadel with its impressive ruins and panoramic views
- Royal Palace offering exhibitions on medieval life
- Outdoor activities like hiking, biking, and kayaking in the surrounding hills and rivers
Eger, situated approximately 130 kilometers northeast of Budapest, is a charming city that perfectly blends history, architecture, and wine culture. Explore the cobbled streets of the Old Town, visit the impressive Eger Castle, and don’t miss the opportunity to taste the famous Bull’s Blood wine, which has its origin in this region. Eger is also home to various thermal baths where you can relax and rejuvenate.
- Eger Castle with its fascinating history and panoramic views
- Eger Basilica, an impressive neoclassical cathedral
- Eger Wine Cellars offering wine tasting and tours
4. Lake Balaton
If you’re looking to relax by the water, head southwest of Budapest to Lake Balaton, the largest freshwater lake in Central Europe. With its crystal clear waters, sandy beaches, and picturesque landscapes, it’s a popular holiday destination for both locals and tourists. Enjoy swimming, sunbathing, or try your hand at various water sports. The surrounding towns and villages offer charming accommodation options and delicious fish dishes.
- Water sports like sailing, windsurfing, and paddleboarding
- Tihany Peninsula, a nature reserve with stunning views over the lake
- Balatonfüred, a town known for its healing springs and beautiful promenade
Located just 30 kilometers east of Budapest, Gödöllő is known for its magnificent Baroque palace, the second-largest palace complex in Hungary. Explore the stunning gardens, marvel at the richly decorated interiors, and learn about the history of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The town also offers opportunities for horseback riding, as it is surrounded by beautiful meadows and forests.
- Gödöllő Royal Palace, a former summer residence of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi)
- Antal Grassalkovich Memorial Exhibition showcasing the life and work of a prominent Hungarian aristocrat
- Horse-riding tours to explore the picturesque countryside
While Budapest has a lot to offer, venturing out to explore the nearby areas can enrich your travel experience in Hungary. From charming towns to natural wonders, each of these places near Budapest has its own unique character and attractions. So, when planning your next trip to Hungary, make sure to include a few extra days to discover these hidden gems.
Table of Contents