Walking Tour Puerto de la Cruz – A Comprehensive Guide for Beginners
Welcome to the beautiful town of Puerto de la Cruz! If you’re looking to explore the many charms of this enchanting destination on foot, you’ve come to the right place. In this guide, we will take you on a walking tour of Puerto de la Cruz, highlighting the must-see attractions, hidden gems, and local favorites along the way. So lace up your walking shoes and let’s get started!
1. Plaza del Charco
Our journey begins at the heart of Puerto de la Cruz, the vibrant Plaza del Charco. This bustling square is surrounded by colorful buildings, charming cafes, and lively street performers. Take a moment to soak in the atmosphere and enjoy the view of the nearby harbor.
- Statue of King Carlos III
- Fountain of Charco
- Local handicraft market (open on weekends)
2. San Felipe Castle
From Plaza del Charco, head towards the coast to discover the historic San Felipe Castle. This 16th-century fortress offers panoramic views of the ocean and the town. Explore the castle’s courtyard and imagine the battles that once took place.
- Wear comfortable shoes as there are some steep steps.
- Visit during sunset for a breathtaking view.
3. Botanical Gardens
Escape the hustle and bustle of the town by immersing yourself in the tranquility of the Botanical Gardens. Take a leisurely stroll through the lush greenery, admire the impressive collection of plants from around the world, and enjoy the peaceful ambiance.
- Massive dragon tree, a symbol of Tenerife
- Orchid Garden showcasing a wide variety of species
- Panoramic viewpoint overlooking the town
4. Martianez Beach
No visit to Puerto de la Cruz is complete without spending some time at the beach. Martianez Beach is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike. Feel the soft sand between your toes, take a refreshing dip in the crystal-clear waters, or simply relax under the sun.
- Don’t forget your sunscreen and a towel.
- Explore the nearby saltwater pools for a unique swimming experience.
5. Lago Martiánez
Adjacent to Martianez Beach is the famous Lago Martiánez, an impressive complex of seawater swimming pools designed by renowned architect César Manrique. Spend some time here to enjoy the pools, waterfalls, and beautiful views of the ocean.
- Large central lake surrounded by lush gardens
- Water slides and children’s play area
- Poolside bars and restaurants
6. Puerto Street Art
As you make your way back to the town center, take a detour to explore the vibrant street art scene in Puerto de la Cruz. Amble through the streets and admire the colorful murals, graffiti, and artistic expressions that adorn the walls.
- Look for guided street art tours for deeper insights.
- Bring your camera to capture the best photo opportunities.
7. Church of Nuestra Señora de la Peña de Francia
Before concluding our walking tour, visit the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Peña de Francia. This picturesque church is a place of worship and a cultural landmark. Admire its beautiful architecture and step inside to admire the awe-inspiring interior.
- Respect the religious nature of the site.
- Check the opening hours before visiting.
With this comprehensive walking tour, you now have a solid foundation for exploring Puerto de la Cruz at your own pace. Remember to stay hydrated, wear sunscreen, and most importantly, embrace the beauty and charm this town has to offer. Happy walking!
Table of Contents