What to Do on a Rainy Day in the Netherlands
So, you’ve arrived in the Netherlands and it’s raining outside. Don’t let the weather dampen your spirits! There are plenty of fun and exciting activities that you can enjoy indoors. Here’s a list of things you can do on a rainy day in the Netherlands:
1. Visit Museums
The Netherlands is famous for its world-class museums. Spend the day exploring the rich history and culture of the country. Some popular museums to consider:
- Rijksmuseum: Located in Amsterdam, this museum houses an extensive collection of Dutch art and history.
- Van Gogh Museum: Also situated in Amsterdam, you can admire the works of the legendary artist Vincent Van Gogh.
- Anne Frank House: Discover the story of Anne Frank and her family in this historic house in Amsterdam.
2. Indoor Markets
Indoor markets are a great way to experience the local culture, taste delicious food, and shop for unique products. Check out these popular indoor markets:
- Albert Cuyp Market: Visit Amsterdam’s largest open-air market, which extends indoors during rainy days. You’ll find a wide range of products, from flowers to clothing and street food.
- Markthal: Located in Rotterdam, this iconic market hall offers an incredible assortment of food stalls, shops, and restaurants.
3. Explore Indoor Attractions
The Netherlands is home to various indoor attractions that will keep you entertained for hours:
- Madurodam: Located in The Hague, this miniature park showcases the highlights of the Netherlands, including windmills, canals, and famous landmarks.
- NEMO Science Museum: Situated in Amsterdam, this interactive museum is perfect for all ages. Learn about science, technology, and innovation through hands-on exhibits.
4. Indoor Sports and Activities
If you’re looking to stay active, there are several indoor sports and activities to choose from:
- Indoor Climbing: Try your hand at indoor climbing at one of the many climbing gyms available throughout the Netherlands.
- Trampoline Parks: Bounce away your rainy day blues at an indoor trampoline park. These parks offer various activities like dodgeball, foam pits, and obstacle courses.
5. Take a Canal Cruise
Just because it’s raining doesn’t mean you can’t explore the beautiful waterways of the Netherlands. Hop on a canal cruise and admire the charming cities from a different perspective. Many canal cruise operators offer covered boats, so you’ll stay dry while enjoying the ride.
Rainy days in the Netherlands don’t have to be boring. With a plethora of indoor activities, museums, markets, and attractions, you’ll have no trouble finding something enjoyable to do. Embrace the weather and make the most of your time indoors. Remember to bring an umbrella and enjoy exploring the Netherlands, rain or shine!
Table of Contents